Amazon ad

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Complete, Up-To-Date cast list for Marvel's "Captain Marvel" movie

As my busy life and propensity for verbosity does not allow me to be Johnny-on-the-spot with these posts about late-breaking developments, I am just going to throw this one up here now with minimal commentary and ...maybe...get back to it later.

But for the record, CinemaBlend has collected all the confirmed "heroes and villains" for the upcoming "Captain Marvel" movie from Marvel Studios.

A quick scan confirms the usual, Carol Danvers, Mar-Vell, Nick Fury. It does add a wrinkle I had not considered, the black female character played by Lashana Lynch may be a mother, and her daughter may turn out to be Monica Rambeau, which I think would be a nice touch.

Ben Mendelsohn may or may not be playing Yon-Rogg, and though that character has been drawn several different ways, I think his face would fit. I also think his performance in "Star Wars: Rogue One" had a bit of what I imagine the Kree colonel's character to be.

Flashback to Carol Danvers' youth might reveal McKenna Grace as her young self, which could be nice. CArol Danvers' character is no Superman (at least in the classic, Silver-to-modern age,  Christopher Reeve version). Rather than being a person grown up with a wholesome, supportive family and easily ensconced in a respectable, journalism job, she rebelled against her MCP father and joined the Air Force. Her job in journalism was stormy and tempestuous, as her boss objected to her vision of the magazine for which she was hired as editor in chief, and she is constantly striving to push beyond her abilities as a superhero, and what people expect of her as a person, and as a female person. Showing some of that backstory could set up some interesting, non-traditional struggles for a superhero.

I like that Minn-Erva (being played by Gemma Chan), Ronan the Accuser (Lee Pace), and Mar-Vell (Jude Law) are all in the movie. That indicates we are going to have some real Kree intrigue, and that is what the first couple of years of Marvel's first Captain Marvel was all about.

I suppose I can go into  more detail later about what all this means, but I do want to point out this picture which I presume is from that recent gorilla movie, that illustrated Brie Larsen's entry in the article:


Note the shirt, open but knotted, indicating a casual sexiness, yet practicality. Carol Danvers wore a shirt like that once. I will scan some pictures from that issue, post it, and talk about it later.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.